Federal Money Will Help Improve Airport

September 7, 2016|
The federal money will be used to extend taxiway A (in gray) to taxiway E to increase safety as pilots move between runways and parking areas.

The federal money will be used to extend taxiway A (in gray) to taxiway E to increase safety as pilots move between runways and parking areas.

Augusta Regional Airport has received some federal money to help make the airport a bit safer for its aircraft.

The Department of Transportation awarded the federal grant for $14.7 million to rehabilitate and extend the taxiway at the airport. The taxiway is the path planes take between the runway and the parking area.

Currently, taxiway A does not extend the full length of the parking area, meaning pilots sometimes have to jockey around parked planes in order to get to the proper place. Extending the taxiway will help with safety.

“This will make things smoother so pilots aren’t going to have to zig zag,” said Lauren Smith, communications manager for the airport.

She said construction of the taxiway won’t affect air traffic or passengers.

The federal grant covers 90 percent of the cost of the project. The Georgia Department of Transportation and the airport will divvy up the remaining 10 percent.

The project has already been put out for bids and the airport is currently working through a contract with a construction company. Construction is expected to start this winter and be finished in time for Masters Week.

“This shows that we are continuing to grow and putting infrastructure in place so that we can possibly have a parallel runway in the future,” Smith said.

Leave a Reply